The New Republic (“TNR”) understands that you care about how we collect, use, and share information when you interact with our websites, mobile applications, social media sites, email, and online services (our “Services”). Below, we describe the type of information TNR collects, the reasons why such information is collected, how such information is used and who has access to it. We also include specific disclosures for residents of the European Economic Area and Switzerland as well as California.
This Policy applies to TNR and our websites, mobile applications, social media sites, email, online services, and emails we send as well as the information we collect when you interact with us through other online services. It does not apply to non-TNR websites and mobile applications that may link to the Services or be linked to or from the Services; please review the privacy policies on those websites and applications directly to understand their privacy practices.
Information We Collect
Information you give us: Some of the Services may include features or services that permit you to enter contact information and other information about you. We collect and store any information you enter on our Services. This includes:
- Contact and demographic information when subscribing to a print or digital version of TNR.
- Payment information and associated contact information when engaging in a transaction on our site.
- Email address information and your geographic details when subscribing to our email newsletters.
- Information you provide when you complete a survey administered by us or a service provider acting on our behalf.
- Information you provide when you participate in a contest or sweepstakes that we offer.
- If you contact us, we may keep a record of that correspondence and any contact information provided.
Occasionally, TNR may offer digital products, obtainable if you submit your email address and respond to the confirmation email. By signing up for these digital offerings, you are opting in to receive future correspondence from The New Republic.
Information We Collect Automatically: When you interact with the Services, certain information about your use of our Services is automatically collected. Much of this information is collected through cookies, web beacons, and other tracking technologies, as well as through your web browser or device. This includes:
- Details of your visits to our site and information generated in the course of the use of our site, including, but not limited to, user traffic data (e.g., frequency and other patterns), location data, weblogs and other communication data, and how you reached our site.
- Details regarding the device you use to access our Services, including, but not limited to, your IP address, operating system and browser type.
- Information about how you interact with our ads and newsletters, including whether you open the email and what links you engage.
- Information that you make available to us on a social media platform—by clicking on a social media icon linked from our Services or interacting with us via social media—including your account ID or username and other information included in your posts.
Please see below for more information about how our automatic collection of information works.
How We Use and Protect Your Information
We may use the information we collect from you for the following purposes:
- To provide you with our products and services, including to provide online content, to take steps to enter into a contract if you choose to purchase a subscription, process payments, and send service communications.
- Create custom audiences on social media sites.
- To provide you with the best service and improve and grow our business, including understanding our customer base and purchasing trends and understanding the effectiveness of our marketing.
- To detect, investigate, and prevent activities that may violate our policies or be fraudulent or illegal, and to comply with legal requirements regarding the provision of products and services.
How We Secure the Information We Collect From or About You
TNR has technical and organizational security measures in place, including firewalls, to protect the information under our control from accidental or unlawful destruction or accidental loss, alteration, unauthorized disclosure, or access. Such measures do not guarantee prevention of loss, misuse, or alteration of information, however, so while we strive to protect your information, TNR cannot warrant the security of information you transmit to us, and you do so at your own risk. We comply with generally accepted industry standards in collecting and processing credit card information. However, TNR does not guarantee the safety of credit card information over the internet.
Our Sharing of Your Information
- Other Similar Organizations: We engage a third-party partner that shares our physical mailing list with other organizations that may be interested in reaching out to our subscribers.
- Our Distribution Vendor: We partner with CDS Global to collect, store, and manage users’ subscription-related information. Please refer to CDS Global’s privacy notice for more details regarding their privacy practices.
- Service Providers: We engage third-party service providers to perform functions on our behalf such as: website, software, and data storage, content management, database management, technical integration, marketing automation, analytics, site optimization, conducting customer surveys, and payment processing.
- Social Media Platforms: Where you choose to interact with us through social media, your interaction with these programs typically allows the third party to collect some information about you through digital cookies they place on your device and other tracking mechanisms. In some cases, the third party may recognize you through its digital cookies even when you do not interact with their application. Please visit the third parties’ respective privacy policies to better understand their data collection practices and controls they make available to you.
- Corporate Affiliates: We share data with other members of our group of companies.
Additional Information About our Data Collection and Sharing Practices
Sharing of Aggregated Data: We may analyze aggregated, de-identified data for internal marketing purposes and share these analyses at our discretion, including with marketing agencies, media agencies and analytics providers. Combination of Information: Together and with the information provided from the Services, we may combine other information we obtain from our business records. Additionally, information collected about you from a particular browser or device may be linked to information collected from another computer or device that we believe relates to you.
Change of Ownership or Corporate Organization: We may transfer to another entity or its affiliates or service providers some or all information about you in connection with, or during negotiations of, any merger, acquisition, sale of assets or any line of business, change in ownership control, or financing transaction. We cannot promise that an acquiring party or the merged entity will have the same privacy practices or treat your information the same as described in this Policy.
Cross-border Transfer of Data: If you use our Services outside of the United States, you understand that we may collect, process, and store your personal information in the United States and other countries. The laws in the U.S. regarding personal information may be different from the laws of your state or country. Any such transfers will comply with safeguards as required by relevant law. By using the Services, you consent to the collection, international transfer, storage, and processing of your data.
Our Practices Regarding Information Belonging to Children: The Services are intended for users over the age of 18. We will comply with the Children's Online Privacy Protection Act, and not knowingly provide children under the age of 13 with access to NewRepublic.com. If you are under 13, please do not submit any personally identifiable information on our site. Children should always ask a parent or guardian for permission to send any personal information online to anyone.
Your Options and Rights
Subscribers to TNR, in print or digital format, may correct or change their subscription information online. Users may change this information at any time and as often as necessary. Users who experience problems with updating information, or who have questions about how our subscription services work, may contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. If at any time you would like to unsubscribe from future correspondence, you can click the unsubscribe link at the bottom of any email, or write us at email@example.com.
Your California Privacy Rights
Residents of the State of California have the right to request information regarding third parties to whom the company has disclosed certain categories of personal information during the preceding year for the third parties’ direct marketing purposes. If you are a California resident and would like to make such a request, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or write to us at 1 Union Square West, 6th Floor, New York, NY 10003
Information for Individuals Located in the EEA and Switzerland
We process personal data on the following legal bases: (1) with your consent; (2) as necessary to perform our agreement to provide Services; and (3) as necessary for our legitimate interests in providing the Services where those interests do not override your fundamental rights and freedom related to data privacy. Personal information we collect may be transferred to, and stored and processed in, the United States or any other country in which we or our affiliates or subcontractors maintain facilities, as described above.
Users who reside in the EEA or Switzerland have the right to lodge a complaint about our data collection and processing actions with the supervisory authority concerned. Contact details for data protection authorities are available here.
If you are a resident of the EEA or Switzerland, you are entitled to certain rights. Please note: In order to verify your identity, we may require you to provide us with personal information prior to accessing any records containing information about you. These rights include the ability:
- to request from us access to personal information held about you
- to ask for the information we hold about you to be rectified if it is inaccurate or incomplete;
- to ask for data to be erased if the data is no longer necessary for the purpose for which it was collected, you withdraw consent and no other legal basis for processing exists, or you believe your fundamental rights to data privacy and protection outweigh our legitimate interest in continuing the processing.
- to request that we restrict our processing if we are processing your data based on legitimate interests or the performance of a task in the public interest as an exercise of official authority (including profiling); using your data for direct marketing (including profiling); or processing your data for purposes of scientific or historical research and statistics.
To submit a request to exercise your rights, please contact us at email@example.com. We may have a reason under the law why we do not have to respond to your request, or respond to it in a more limited way than you anticipated. If we do, we will explain that to you in our response.
Changes to This Policy
We may make changes to this Policy from time to time. We will post any changes, and such changes will become effective when they are posted. Your continued use of our Services following the posting of any changes will mean you accept those changes.
Additional Information About Our Use of Tracking Technologies and Interest-Based Advertising
- Site Operations: Enabling features that are necessary for providing you the services on our site, such as identifying you as being signed in, tracking content views, remembering your preferences, and the number of times you have been shown an advertisement.
- Analytics: Allowing us to understand how our services are being used, track site performance and make improvements.
- Personalized Advertising: Delivering tailored advertising based on your preferences or interests across services and devices and measuring the effectiveness of ads.
- Social Media: Enabling the sharing of content from our services through social networking and other sites.
Below is a list of these partners with links to more information regarding their use of your data and how to exercise your options regarding tracking.
|Analytics||How Google users information from sites or apps that use our services|
|Personalized Advertising, Social Media||Data Policy|
Most web browsers automatically accept cookies but, if you prefer, you can usually modify your browser setting to disable or reject cookies. If you delete your cookies or if you set your browser to decline cookies, some features of the Services may not be available, work, or work as designed. You also may be able to opt out of or block tracking by interacting directly with the third parties that conduct tracking through our Services.
You can learn more about ad serving companies and the options available to limit their collection and use of your information by visiting the websites for the Network Advertising Initiative, the Digital Advertising Alliance, and the European Interactive Digital Advertising Initiative. Similarly, you can learn about your options to opt-out of mobile app tracking by certain advertising networks through your device settings and by resetting the advertiser ID on your Apple or Android device.
Please note that opting out of advertising networks services will neither exclude you from receiving advertising while using our Services, nor prevent third parties who do not participate in these programs from sending you interest-based advertising. It will, however, exclude you from interest-based advertising conducted through participating networks, as provided by their policies and choice mechanisms. If you delete your cookies, you may also delete your opt-out preferences.
Your browser or device may include “Do Not Track” functionality. At this time, TNR does not respond to browser “Do Not Track” signals.
For questions about our privacy practices, contact us at:
The New Republic
1 Union Square West, 6th Floor, New York, NY 10003