Breaking News
Breaking News
from Washington and beyond

Navy in Talks to Rename Ship After Trump Instead of Black War Hero

The U.S. Navy is considering scrapping its plans to rename an aircraft carrier after a Black World War II hero.

Doris Miller showing Navy Cross received in ceremony at Pearl Harbor.
Doris Miller wearing the Navy Cross he received in a ceremony at Pearl Harbor
HUM Images/Universal Images Group/Getty Images
Doris Miller wearing the Navy Cross he received in a ceremony at Pearl Harbor

The U.S. Navy has been quietly considering renaming an aircraft carrier that was set to honor Doris Miller, a heroic Black sailor at Pearl Harbor, after President Donald Trump instead.

The effort to rename the planned USS Doris Miller began earlier this year, three sources told CNN Thursday. It’s not yet clear who the newest Gerald R. Ford–class aircraft carrier will be named for, but two of the sources revealed there have been conversations about naming the carrier to honor Trump.

The leaks come after Trump recently ordered redesigns that will waste billions of dollars to put old-fashioned steam catapult technology on board.

Acting Navy Secretary Hung Cao and his office had started to look into updating the official guidance for how ships should be named, two of the sources told CNN. No aircraft carrier has ever been named after a sitting president, and naming the vessel after Trump would be a massive break with precedent.

The effort comes amid a wider trend of the Trump administration expunging Black history from American monuments and museums. The White House has also made a concerted effort to rename institutions after the president.

At the same time, Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth has launched a campaign to remake the U.S. military in his image. The secretary has repeatedly thwarted the advancements of Black and female Defense Department personnel.

One of the sources told CNN that the Navy is looking to name another warship after Miller, who was the first Black sailor to receive the Navy Cross of Valor. When the bombs started to fall at Pearl Harbor, Miller, a mess attendant, aided his wounded commanding officer, and despite having no training, took control of an anti-aircraft gun to defend the base.

Additionally, the Navy is moving to recommend him for a Medal of Honor. Thomas Bledsoe, Miller’s great-nephew, told CNN that the family had not been informed of the Navy’s plan to rename the ship, or its renewed effort to award Miller with the Medal of Honor, something the family had been working on “for years.”

Judge Rips Trump Team for Caring More About Pronouns Than Wildfires

The Trump administration is placing outrageous conditions on disaster relief.

DHS Secretary Markwayne Mullin stands at a podium
DHS Secretary Markwayne Mullin
Anna Moneymaker/Getty Images
DHS Secretary Markwayne Mullin

A federal judge in Oregon ripped the Trump administration for placing political conditions on crucial, potentially lifesaving disaster relief.

On Thursday, U.S. District Judge Michael McShane, an Obama appointee, issued a ruling regarding the city of Salem, Oregon’s July lawsuit against Homeland Security Secretary Markwayne Mullin and FEMA leadership. In it, the city accused the Trump administration of dangling disaster aid above local leaders’ heads in exchange for a rejection of diversity, equity, and inclusion programs.

Salem argued that the conditions were “unlawful,” especially given that the city was still recovering from storm damage from last winter. McShane agreed.

“As wildfires, severe storms, and floods routinely ravage through the State of Oregon, disaster relief has become a tool to advance unrelated executive policy.… It is hard to imagine the connection between the use of preferred pronouns and the fires currently burning through central Oregon,” he wrote in his order.

McShane issued a preliminary injunction blocking the DHS restrictions on aid while the case continues.

Withholding basic disaster funds from American citizens just because they live in states that recognize trans people exist or talk about racism in school has become an obvious, spiteful trend for Trump. Last month, he denied FEMA disaster aid requests from four blue states after accepting the aid requests of six red states just two days before.

Natalie Harp’s Full Trump Letters Exposed—Revealing Creepy Obsession

Donald Trump’s much younger assistant wrote him fawning letters calling him her “guardian and protector.”

Natalie Harp, aide to President Donald Trump, walks with high heels, folders in her hands, and a large backpack swinging from her shoulder.
Natalie Harp
Tasos Katopodis/Getty Images
Natalie Harp

Natalie Harp’s relationship with President Donald Trump is even more intimate than we thought.

The Daily Beast published two intimate letters Thursday from Trump’s assistant, courtesy of Michael Wolff, Trump’s biographer who maintained a disturbingly close relationship with Jeffrey Epstein. The letters were written in 2023, either during or after a business trip to Scotland.

Here’s the complete text of Harp’s first letter (emphasis added):

Dear Mr. President,

I’m sorry. I thought I was the only one left behind last night, and had no idea Margo’s car was also pulled over, and sent back to the Airport. Since I was alone in the van outside Customs without my passport, I panicked, and should have just called Secret Service instead of you. I also am sorry if I was an embarrassment walking the course in Scotland. The first day I was told there were no carts, and people walked, which is why I walked. The second day, I was specifically asked by, I forget who his name was, but one of the main people who worked there, if I could continue walking, and tell any other girls who would head out there to do the same to spare the Course any more Carts. If there is anything else I have done to cause you trouble, please forgive me. I know that some people have said I haven’t been texting them back, and there have been some International cell issues (John was having technical issues on the Plane too, so asked me to help him out).

I want things to always be right between us. I also know I’ve been distracted all week (forgetting to eat throughout the days, and even forgetting to sleep, and only catching a couple hours at a time). I haven’t been myself, dwelling on the Past, and the pain of losing my Dad, and I started letting the remarks of people who haven’t bothered me before, get to me—not because I care what others think, but because I see myself being lowered in your eyes and good opinion. That is the fear you see, because I never want to bring you anything but joy. I’m sorry I lost my focus. You are all that matters to me. I don’t want to ever let you down. Thank you for being my Guardian and Protector in this Life—That’s what I wanted to use this card for, when you saw me at the Cash Register, and once again did what you didn’t have to do, and gifted me with Mementos of this Trip of a Lifetime, a Coming of Age. I will return a better person. I have to sign off now, as the cars are leaving. See you soon.

Harp signed that message with “All my heart.” Very normal stuff to send to your boss.

Here is the complete text of the second letter (emphasis added):

Dear Mr. President

Now this is the Note I wanted to write (But the apology needed to come first.)

I have learned so much about myself on this Trip—I always knew coming home to my roots would be enlightening, but I had no idea how much. For the first time, in I don’t know how long, you forced me to “unplug.” We could be out on the Course, with no machines, and even forget what time it was! I didn’t have to be “Human Printer.” I could take time to enjoy good conversation, and still get all my work done at the end of the day. In fact, I even had time to take long morning and evening walks to enjoy each Sunrise and Sunset (though I did forget to eat and sleep!). With so much thinking time, I confess it did have a slightly negative effect at times, that I know you picked up on, but the end result, I believe, will be worth it. I had no idea how rapidly I was approaching burnout, and starting to envy those whose only “job” seems to be to talk with you, and look pretty. I want that job!!

So many times, I’m just trying to stay afloat with all that’s coming in for you, I look like a hunchback who didn’t have time to freshen up (at least you know what I should look like)! Plus, I miss the days when you used to call, during my Talkshow days, and we’d talk about everything and nothing. I want to get back to that synergy. We shouldn’t have to talk about work all the time!! I’ve always felt like an in-betweener, somewhere between Staff and those you enjoy talking to on the Plane or at Dinner, because that’s who I used to be to you when I was a “Talkshow Host” (as much as I hated that actual job!). I wish I could hear every conversation, because that’s when you’re having a good time, getting away from it all, at least for a few moments.

But after going through all this self-analysis, my conclusion? I need to reunite my past self with my current into a better version who will make you proud. And please, when I fail, will you tell me? You have the absolute right to cuss me out, if need be, when I deserve it, because no one knows or cares about me more. Thank you for always being there for me—I’ll never forget when you made that promise to me after losing my Dad, and I know how happy he is right now that I did get to go to Scotland and Ireland, as he always wanted for me. To modify a classic, ‘I could not have parted with you, to anyone less worthy’—And, I will add, it is I who is unworthy.”

Harp signed her second letter with “Always.”

Within the span of the second letter, Harp vacillates from viewing Trump as a kind of spiritual adviser, a father figure, and a Mr. Darcy-type romantic lead. As for her request for more access, it seems Harp got her wish. White House staff and national security officials have expressed serious concerns about her unfettered access to the president—and all of his conversations.

Michael Cohen’s Radio Interview With Trump Was a Fever Dream

Trump’s former attorney turned #Resistance hero is now trying to get back in the president’s good graces.

Michael Cohen in court
Michael Cohen
Stephanie Keith/Bloomberg/Getty Images
Michael Cohen

Michael Cohen’s highly anticipated reunion radio interview with President Trump was a masterclass in brownnosing.

The president made a sleepy appearance on Cohen’s weekly talk radio program and podcast, When You Know You Know, on Thursday night, and the two men spent most of the time relitigating what they see as their persecution and trading stale old stories.

“So I wanna go back to 2016 if we can, because you and I have obviously traveled a pretty rocky road together,” Cohen said near the beginning of the interview, after playing the song “Why Can’t We Be Friends” by War. “Do you remember, sir, when I went on CNN with Brianna Keilar and she told me that you were underwater in the polls and I responded with those famous two words, ‘Says who,’ which became some worldwide meme?”

“A good advocate, and then they weaponized you like nobody’s ever been weaponized, like few have been,” Trump responded.

“Well, maybe just you and I, sir.”

“Yeah. Me too, but … mine was, mine was at a level that nobody’s ever seen before. But they weaponized you, they weaponized a lot of people. And, uh, I respect the fact that you recanted everything you said,” Trump continued. “And that’s a big, that’s a big thing that you did.”

The rest of the interview was effectively a stock speech for Trump, as he eventually devolved into ranting about polling, Iran, gas prices, and upcoming elections.

“I think that we’re doing really well in the polls, the real polls. If I were running today, I think I’d win by 25 points. I think we’d win by a lot. The economy has never been stronger. We’re doing numbers that nobody’s ever seen before,” he said. (His approval rating fell to 33 percent this week, the lowest level of his presidency.)

“Venezuela was amazing. And now with Iran, they will never have a nuclear weapon,” he continued. “We’re essentially controlling and soon controlling the straits. We’re doing very well with Iran. The press doesn’t like to say that, although a lot of the press does say it, you know, because the Navy’s gone, the Air Force is gone, the leadership is gone.… I had [gas] down to $1.85 a barrel. And then I said, ‘But we have to make a journey to the Middle East because we can’t let Iran have a nuclear weapon.’ And that’s what happened.… We’ve wiped them out, militarily wiped out.”

What Cohen and Trump didn’t talk about was Cohen’s multiple politically advantageous transformations.

He was first Trump’s longtime attorney—before being sentenced to three years in federal prison on charges related to his role as the middleman in Trump’s hush-money payment to adult film star Stormy Daniels. Then he had a #Resistance liberal hero arc, lambasting Trump as “a cheat, a mobster, a liar, a fraud, a bully, a racist, a predator, a con man” in his book and testifying against him in court. And now that Trump is back in power, he’s returned to bending over backward to appease him.

Cohen ended the episode with Peaches & Herb’s “Reunited.”

Food Safety Keeps Getting Worse Under Trump

The FDA has recalled 12 products in the last week alone.

Robert F. Kennedy Jr. looks at some food
Robert F. Kennedy Jr.
Jay Janner/The Austin American-Statesman/Getty Images
Robert F. Kennedy Jr.

In the last week alone, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration has recalled 12 different products—a rate four times higher than the same week a year ago.  

In the past week, the FDA has discovered salmonella in granola, salad dressing, jalapenos, and animal food; glass in fruit popsicles; and metal in sourdough—just to name a few examples. 

Between August 14 and 20, 2025, the FDA recalled only three products. In the same week in 2024, the FDA recalled only two, according to the FDA website. 

It’s not immediately clear whether the increase in recalls can be attributed to increased enforcement or more hazardous food—but the rapid recalls really make you wonder, is this what making America healthy again looks like? 

This week of many public health announcements follows a national cyclospora outbreak that has sickened more than 13,000 people and caused two deaths. Last week, the FDA finally dispatched investigators to the facilities linked to the outbreak—nearly a month after linking the parasite to Taylor Farms. Before any of this, Health and Human Services Secretary Robert F. Kennedy Jr. reportedly cut back on parasite monitoring.